Instructor: Peter Salamon
Don't let the 1 credit hour fool you; this is a full class equivalent to a 3 credit hour class which lasts only 5 weeks.
We will cover (in order) the first 150 pages of Frank Garvan's THE MAPLE BOOK.
Grading is 25% on the homework, 75% on the single exam (take-home) at the end of the course.
Read the first 2 chapters and try all the commands discussed there.
1. Define an interesting function in a MAPLE worksheet. Plot its graph and find its integral.
2. Make an interesting spreadsheet.
Turn in a printout of these 2 activities next Monday.
Read chapter 3 and try all the commands discussed there.
3. Find all local minima and maxima of f(x)=(x^3-3x^2+2x+1)exp(-x) on [0, 10].
Read chapters 4 and 5 and try all the commands discussed there.
4. Find a closed form, factored formula for the sum of the first n natural numbers raised to the fifth power.
5. Find a completely factored expression for the fifth derivative of x^2*exp(-x^2).
6. Find the integral of exp(-x^2) from minus infinity to infinity.
Click here to download pdf.